Organised by: Christine Strullu-Derrien (Researcher in Palaeobotany) and Sylvain Marçais (President of the “Association Ste Barbe des Mines”)
In collaboration with:
Christopher Cleal (Natural History Museum, Cardiff, UK)
José Bienvenido Diez Ferrer (University of Vigo, Spain)
Alan Spencer (Imperial College London; Trustee of the Paleontological Association)
Fabrice Redois (University of Angers)
Céline Ducassou (University of Rennes)
Members of the “Association Ste Barbe des Mines”
With the support of the museums of Nantes, Angers, Laval and Le Mans and the “Association Agora Paleobotanica”.
And the towns of Chalonnes sur Loire, Chaudefonds sur Layon, Beaulieu sur Layon, St Aubin de Luigné, Rochefort sur Loire, Montjean sur Loire,
To put a spotlight geological and paleobotanical mining heritage, and to make it known to the wider public within the geographic region.
The meeting will take place in France from the 3rd until the 7th June 2018. Located in the Loire valley near Chalonnes-sur-Loire, and the historic Chapelle de Sainte Barbe des Mines, a stone’s throw away from the ancient city of Angers. Transport to the meeting is available in the form of by two international airports Nantes Atlantique Airport (NTE) and Angers Loire Airport (ANE), regular high-speed TGV trains from major French cities into Angers, or by road (e.g. A11 from Paris).
After an icebreaker on June 3rd allowing the organisers and the participants to meet, four days of talks, discussions, fieldtrip, exhibition and meetings with schools and public will be organized (June 4th to 7th)
- Scientific talks (Carboniferous plants and geology) and more general talks for larger audiences on the value of historic mining sites.
- Poster exhibition
- Exchange with local actors valuing the mine heritage of the Corniche Angevine (plus a local wine & food tasting).
- Field trip: visit to various historic mine sites with Fabrice Redois (University of Angers) and Céline Ducassou (University of Rennes).
- Exhibition of the fossil plants that have been collected by the people in the area.
- Exchange fossils and knowledge with expert paleobotanists.
- Exhibition of the drawings, models realized by pupils of primary schools from the area (10 to 12 schools) followed up with outreach visits by C. Strullu-Derrien during Spring 2018 to educate on the theme of ‘Carboniferous forests’ in class.
For those travelling by themselves without organisational support:
|Free entry to the conference on the 4th/5th June and exhibitions on the 7th June||0 €|
|Participation in the field trip for the whole day on the 6th June (with picnic)||50 €|
|Gala Dinner on the evening of the 6th June||50 €|
For people wanting organisational support (e.g. transport/accommodation/etc.):
- Early bird – Until 23:59 March 15th 2018
- Final Deadline – 23:59 April 30th 2018
|Early-Bird Price||Standard Price|
|Standard Delegate||100 €||120 €|
|Student (incl. PhD) Delegate||50 €||60 €|
|Accompanying Person||50 €||60 €|
|Gala Dinner on the evening of the 6th June||50 €||50 €|
Registration fees include: coffee breaks, transportation from the train station to the hotel, a hotel near to the conference venues, the wine tasting, and participation in the field trip on the 6th June (with picnic).
More information will become available on the meeting website of the coming weeks and months: https://jrpm2018.eu/